Casseroles


If you ever spend any time with my Mom, you will notice a few things: a listening ear, some coffee, and something to eat. She is Italian, so the something to eat will be lots of options, and undoubtedly at least one will be some type of casserole. Casseroles are my Mom’s specialty, if you will, because she has learned over the years how to make a budget work for 5 kids and mostly on her own. I didn’t always appreciate the casseroles when I was a kid, but there is nothing better than some good ol’ fashioned tuna casserole, or tuna and rice as it really is. 

A casserole, if you have never had one, is really just a mash-up of foods into one cohesive meal. That’s at least my definition because my Mom has always used what she had on hand to make them. I think she’s always done this because in a way, casseroles are very biblical, and my Mom for sure embodies Philippians 4:12 all the way. Now you may be asking how a casserole can possibly be biblical, and I’m glad you are asking because I am going to show you. Let’s jump into Gods word and see what we can learn about the casseroles being made in our own lives.  

In Romans chapter 8:28, we see this: And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.


Okay, so in this verse, we see that God takes EVERYTHING in our lives, good and bad, and uses ALL of it for His purpose and His plan. In fact, we see He not only uses it for His purpose and plan, He loves us so much that He even causes it to be good for us. This term good literally means beneficial or virtuous, so it’s truly good for us and not just merely something that we might temporarily like. See where you and I might just see separate, maybe even seemingly random events that don’t seem to fit into anything; God is working so nothing in our lives is wasted. 


Now I do want to make sure we are clear that this verse does not say that all things are going to feel good because too often this verse is used in that way. The truth is that good may be something that doesn’t feel pleasant in the moment but is still a blessing in a way that we may not see now. What we need to know is that you and I, as believers, can rest in the fact that God is in control and there is nothing and no one that He cannot redeem or use and no one can mess up Gods plans. Beloved, I want to encourage you that you haven’t missed or messed up anything. God is taking everything, even your misroutes, and creating a casserole out of your life in a way in a way that only He can. 


The Lord’s wisdom is seen in arranging the smallest events so as to produce great results. Everything, the most minute…as well as the most magnificent, is ordered by the Lord. - C.H. Spurgeon


If you are here today I want you to know that God is using all the things in your life also, good and bad, to get your attention. He started with seeking you out by stepping into time and hanging on a cross to save you from your sins. If you will repent and accept the forgiveness Jesus purchased with His blood, you will by His grace be saved. Turn to Jesus and allow Him to create a new heart in you and save you. 

Comments

Popular Posts